The Ohio State Buckeyes are looking to advance to the BCS National Championship. There is some mayhem brewing after Auburn’s unexpected defeat of Alabama.
As things currently stand, Ohio State will likely face Florida State in the Vizio BCS National Championship. The rankings will be released at 8:30 P.M. tonight and college football fans will be debating all day long regarding the second team that will play Florida State in the National Championship if the Seminoles defeat Duke.
Should Ohio State be the current #2 team in the BCS Standings? The Buckeyes started the season as the number two team in the nation. They won all their games for the regular season. They won against a quality opponent, the Wisconsin Badgers (9-3, 6-2) even though the Badgers just lost to Penn State. The Buckeyes walloped Penn State 63-14.
They won two games via the shutout over the ineffective Purdue Boilermakers 56-0 and an equally ineffective Florida A/M team 76-0. They won a tough game at the “Big House” 42-41. Some college football fans may call the Michigan Wolverines overrated, but by all rights it’s not fair at all to call Ohio State’s win at Michigan as just an average win. They faced their rival on the road, Michigan still has a winning record at 7-5, and the Big House is known as one of the most intimidating venues in the nation.
The Buckeyes running duo of Braxton Miller and Carlos Hyde is capable of creating mismatches against any defense. Scrambling quarterbacks like Miller can be very effective, extending plays and running up the field.
Debate against Ohio State
The Buckeyes defense did not show their typical powerhouse nature all season. In fact, the mostly inexperienced Ohio State defense gave up 20 points against the Buffalo Bulls, 34 points against the 1-11 California Golden Bears, 35 points against the 4-8 Illinois Fighting Illini. Some college football fans may also point to this last game against Michigan. The defense was torched as the Wolverines scored 41 points.
Auburn and Missouri played tougher opponents. Do they deserve to play against Florida State in the end? These teams have one loss but they faced some tough conference foes in the S.E.C.
There is a slight chance Auburn could jump over Ohio State but the BCS typically caters to undefeated teams.
Ohio State will likely defeat Michigan State, using their superior running game for the most part. The Buckeyes may need a blowout win but regardless of the final score, the philosophy does not change. If the Buckeyes win, they are in the BCS National Championship presumably against Florida State.
A few scenarios to consider
- If Duke upsets Florida State, Ohio State wins, and Auburn wins, Ohio State will face Auburn.
- If Florida State wins, Ohio State wins, and Auburn wins, Ohio State will face Florida State.
- If Florida State loses, Ohio State wins, and Missouri wins, Ohio State will face Missouri.
- If Florida State wins, Ohio State loses, and Auburn wins, Florida State will face Auburn.
- If Florida State loses, Ohio State loses, and Missouri wins, Missouri could face Oklahoma State.
- If Florida State loses, Ohio State loses, and Auburn wins, Auburn could face Oklahoma State.
- Any scenario that involves Florida State and Ohio State winning will most likely set the table for Seminoles and Buckeyes in the National Championship.