The Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York is a little bit over a week from being swarmed with wrestling fans. The week wraps up with NXT: Takeover on Saturday night and the 29th Summerslam on Sunday night. Since NXT gain as much popularity, it has made that almost similar to Wrestlemania weekend.
Here are the five things I am expecting to see over those two nights:
- New Tag Team Champions: Both Tag Titles in NXT and WWE are on the line next weekend and I am expecting to see both Titles changing hands. In NXT, The Revival, which is the team of Dash and Dawson, have done wonders for the tag team division being that they have held the titles on two different occasions. The wrestlers they are going up against are Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa who have gone up the ranks quickly since arriving in NXT last year. Also being that WWE has the Cruiserweight Classic, both Gargano and Ciampa were involved in it and have done great. This is a golden time to make stars. On the WWE side, the New Day, have held the tag titles since Summerslam 2015. While it’s nice seeing the New Day as the Tag Team champions, I feel their time is running out. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson seem to be the most viable team to take the belts off of the New Day.
- New United States Champion- It was announced on the last episode of RAW that Rusev will be in a fight against Roman Reigns for the United States Championship. The biggest reason why I see a change of the title is that Rusev probably won’t be on TV for most of September because he is having a second wedding. It makes sense to have them write him off of TV at the hands of Roman Reigns.
- The Two Woman Title matches will get more than 15 minutes of time: On Saturday night, Asuka goes up against Bayley for the NXT Woman’s title. These two women have the ability to put on great matches and if they are given enough time can easily bring the house down. On the flip side, Charlotte and Sasha Banks are fighting for the WWE woman’s title. Like the NXT title match, Charlotte and Sasha Banks can easily go 20-23 minutes and have a match that could be the match of the night.
- AJ Styles wins- Going into his Summerslam match against John Cena, they are tied 1-1. AJ got the first win at Money in the Bank and John Cena got the win at Battleground. If past booking is any indication, then John Cena will win at Summerslam. However, there are reports coming out that AJ Styles will be going for the WWE Championship after Summerslam. It would make sense to have him go over on John Cena. If you look at the current heels on the Smackdown roster, the only heels that are viable for the WWE championship are AJ Styles and Bray Wyatt. Being that Bray Wyatt is dealing with some ankle injuries, it means that AJ is next in line.
- Randy Orton beats Brock Lesnar: In one of the main event caliber matches, Randy Orton is going up against Brock Lesnar. Being that if Randy Orton does win and should win, then he could be elevated into the title picture of Smackdown Live. This match will probably be a battle of two wrestlers who will push each other. Figure one of the sequences will be an F-5 into an RKO. This match will have its moments, but Randy Orton should win this match.
You can look forward to reading my predictions and preview for both NXT Takeover and Summerslam that should be released by the middle of next week.