The Buffalo Bills are still dealing with a lot of uncertainty as to whether Tyrod Taylor will be their quarterback next season. If Taylor does leave, a quarterback will become the biggest need for Buffalo. The Bills have to drastically improve if they want to be competitive with New England and Miami. But when looking at their available cap space, it will be very difficult for the Bills to sign multiple positions that could be game changers.
They have $22,259,670 in available cap room and that puts them at 24th in the NFL. Buffalo will have to depend mostly on the draft but they still can find difference makers at a fair price. The Bills will have to decide if they want to approach 2017 with a win now mentality or build for the future. This simply means that we could see multiple veterans that are on the wrong side of 30 heading to Buffalo this offseason. With that being said, here are five free agent targets for the Buffalo Bills.
- Brandon Marshall: Wide Receiver – Some fans are probably thinking, how can we afford a guy like Marshall? Believe me….you can. Marshall is 33 years old and still showed that he can be a legitimate wide receiver 2 option. He did have one of his worst seasons ever last year and was second in the NFL in dropped passes with 8. So some may say, why would Buffalo want that? Marshall was constantly doubled teamed throughout last season and dealt with terrible quarterback play. Plus, the Bills have to find a way to help Sammy Watkins. Buffalo has probably the weakest receiving core in the NFL. Marshall on a two-year deal makes perfect sense and gives them a legitimate red zone threat.
- Captain Munnerlyn: Cornerback – Since the Bills will be losing Stephon Gilmore to free agency, this position is something they must address. Munnerlyn isn’t a player that will wow you with his career numbers. But he can play consistently and is a player they should be able to get pretty cheap. They must find someone that can help Darby and has experience as a starter. Munnerlyn is that player. Again, Buffalo doesn’t have much cap space and will surely draft a corner. But having a guy like Munnerlyn gives them someone they can count on.
- Karl Klug: Defensive End – Klug is a player that made some noise with his performance last season. The 29-year-old veteran took some time to show consistency but he definitely proved he can be a starter in a 3-4 defense. Kyle Williams is turning 34 and the Bills need to find his replacement. Klug could most certainly be that guy. They could afford him on a possible 3-year deal and give themselves depth and consistency at defensive line.[Sean2]
- Cordarrelle Patterson: Wide Receiver – Patterson has some issues with route running and separation. That being said, he has elite speed, big play ability, and is valuable in the return game. Patterson, with his size, could be a legitimate slot receiver for Buffalo. After his struggles at Minnesota over the last 2 years, it would be a shock if he lands a big money contract. He is going to be only 26 years old this coming season so a 2-year deal would make perfect sense. This should make him a very interesting option to the Buffalo Bills front office.
- Brandon Carr: Cornerback – They could desperately use another corner for depth. With so many young defensive backs on their roster, a veteran like Carr could be a great fit. He is someone they could try to sign to a one-year deal and for an affordable price. Carr has shown to be slightly inconsistent against the deep ball but does show to be good enough to earn a roster spot. The Buffalo Bills secondary needs help and Carr could definitely give them depth and solid production.