When it comes to window dressing, most homeowners face a dilemma in choosing the better one between curtains and blinds. However, there are a lot of factors that will determine which side you are on. Well, both are equally important and play a significant role in treating your bare windows, which in most of the cases is the most overlooked aspect during a home renovation.
Window dressing should not be overlooked as it not only adds to the beauty of the room but also keeps out sunlight, heat, insects, sounds and ogling eyes. Your choice of window dressing, however, will depend on your budget, decor style and needs.
Deciding Factors of Choice
There are a few factors that will influence your choice between curtains or blinds. These are:
- Interior style: Curtains are available in a wider range of style, colors, patterns and thickness and therefore by default fits with all style. However, blinds are now experiencing a revival and newer styles are incorporated to accent in interior styles.
- Cost-effectiveness: If cost is your issue then curtains are always cheaper than blinds as it has soft fabric and ease in manufacturing.
- Maintenance: Curtains are easy to maintain than blinds and need less time for cleaning depending on the type of fabric.
- Durability: Blinds are more durable than the curtains.
- Light and sound control: Depending on the material of the curtains, it may block out lighter and sounder as compared to the blinds.
The Pros & Cons
You must also consider the pros and cons of both curtains and blinds to make the right choice. However, the con of one does not necessarily have to be the advantageous feature of the other. Here is a summarized look at the pros and cons of each.
As for the curtains:
- You will have more design possibilities
- It is more energy efficient
- More effective at blocking light.
As for the downsides, it can be more expensive, the cords can be unsafe for children and it may be harder to clean.
As for the blinds:
- These are less expensive
- Easier to clean and
- Can control light as per your requirement.
However, the downsides of blinds are its minimal designs, dangerous cords and less energy efficiency.
Steps to Choose
Though choosing window treatments for your home is a personal decision, there are a few steps to follow.
- First, weigh the pros and cons of curtains and blinds.
- The next is to consider the type of fabric and its weight.
- When you opt for blinds you must further consider the pros and cons of each variety.
At this point, you must know that there are Venetian blinds, vertical blinds, roller blinds and Roman shades to choose from.
Choosing Factors of The Right Blind
Finally, if you have decided to choose a blind for your home, there are a few specific factors to look for.
- Aesthetic: They are simple with a clean aesthetic. These can be made from a wide range of materials such as wood, plastic, veneer and fabric.
- Warmth: There are a few specific blinds such as honeycomb and thermal blinds that are specially designed to keep your room warm and can save a lot of energy.
- Function: This is the most important factor to consider as on it the light control, privacy and other aspects of the blinds will depend.
- Cleaning and maintenance: you must determine how much time and effort you have to devote to ensure that they last long and perform just the way you desire.
To add a unique touch, you can even use a combination of blinds and curtains on your windows. So, why wait, it is high time to contact a reliable supplier!