The bats took off for the Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, as they defeated the San Antonio Missions 9-2 Thursday night. The big offensive performance came just one night after being nearly no-hit by the Corpus Christi Hooks. Seven Frisco players got hits in the matchup, as the club combined for 10 total hits.
RoughRiders outfielder Royce Bolinger sent the stadium into an uproar, with a monster two-run blast in the fourth inning. Jose Cardona followed up in the sixth inning with his own two-run homer. Luke Tendler added to the score when he came up big with a two-run double in the seventh inning. The RoughRiders scored in five of their eight frames. Scott Heineman and Michael De Leon were the only two Frisco batters to remain hitless throughout the game.
Key Riders Performers, from RidersBaseball.com:
- Royce Bolinger: 2-4, home run, two RBIs, two runs
- Luke Tendler: 2-3, two doubles, two RBIs, two runs, walk
- Jose Cardona: 1-4, home run, two RBIs, run
Pedro Payano started on the hill for the RoughRiders. The 22-year-old righty pitched six innings, for the first time in his 10 Double-A starts. He allowed three hits and two runs (both earned) while walking three and striking out three. In total, Payano tossed 69 pitches, 41 for strikes.
Frisco relievers allowed no runs in their combined performance. Brady Feigl tossed one inning, allowing two hits. Nick Gardewine allowed two hits and struck out one, over his one inning of work. Joe Filomeno closed out the matchup, tossing one inning of one-hit baseball. He struck out two along the way.
News and notes from RidersBaseball.com:
- The Riders scored nine runs in a game for the first time since July 1.
- San Antonio permitted nine runs for the first time since May 31. The seven-run margin of defeat was San Antonio’s largest since an eight-run loss at Midland April 22.
- Hitting one after the other in the order, Luke Tendler, Royce Bolinger, and Eric Aguilera combined to go 6-11 at the plate with five RBIs.
- Andy Ibanez went 1-3 Thursday and is 8-23 (.348) in his last six games.
- Frisco has received a quality start in three consecutive games and four of the last five contests.
The RoughRiders will continue their four-game series against the San Antonio Missions Friday night. The matchup against the San Diego Padres affiliate is slated to start at 7:05 PM at Dr. Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas.
Frisco will start top pitching prospect, lefty Yohander Mendez (6-6, 3.78 ERA) against the Missions. San Antonio will start Cal Quantrill (0-0, 6.75 ERA).
You can watch the game via MiLB.tv, or listen to the broadcast at RidersBaseball.com.
Follow Blake Cole on Twitter (@blakeacole) for more on the Frisco RoughRiders, and other MiLB Texas League Double-A teams and players.
*Featured image courtesy of the Frisco RoughRiders.