The Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, went to 13 innings against the San Antonio Missions Saturday night, losing 9-7. The series finale featured a few lead changes and some big offensive plays by the RoughRiders, but they were ultimately swept in the four-game series.
Juremi Profar led the charge, finishing the night 4-6 with two doubles, two runs scored, and a RBI. Isiah Kiner-Falefa went 3-6, with a double, HBP, and three runs scored. Luis Marte was also 3-6, with a double of his own, and a run scored. Eric Aguilera went just 1-5 but had a monster three-run home run that gave the RoughRiders the lead in the seventh inning.
It wasn’t enough, as the Missions rallied to tie the game in the ninth. It was a RBI single from Alberth Martinez that ended up sending the game into extra innings. In the 13th, Nick Torres hit a RBI double and Ty France hit a run-scoring single to take a final lead of 9-7.
It wasn’t the best performance from RoughRiders starting pitcher Pedro Payano. He finished the matchup after just 4.1 innings, having tossed 87 pitches. Payano allowed seven hits and three runs (all earned). He was on the line for two more but was saved by reliever Brady Feigl. Feigl tossed 1.2 innings of just one-hit baseball, allowing no runs.
Jose Valdespina ended up earning the losing decision, as he was responsible for the two runs in the 13th.
News and notes from RidersBaseball.com:
- Juremi Profar collected his second four-hit night of the season and team-leading ninth contest with three or more hits.
- With a three-hit game Saturday, Isiah Kiner-Falefa has nine multiple-hit outings in his past 18 games and leads the team with 28 multi-hit performances on the season.
- Seventeen of the 20 contests between the Riders and Missions have been decided by three runs or fewer.
- The Riders suffered their first four-game sweep since May 12-14, 2016 at Corpus Christi.
- At four hours and 47 minutes of game time, Saturday night’s contest is tied for the sixth-longest game in team history.
The Frisco RoughRiders begin a four-game away stretch beginning Sunday night. They will take on the Corpus Christi Hooks.
Follow Blake Cole on Twitter (@blakeacole) for more on the Frisco RoughRiders.
*Featured image courtesy of the Frisco RoughRiders.