The Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, dominated Corpus Christi Tuesday night, 6-1. Tyler Davis tossed eight excellent innings of three-hit baseball. A late-game burst of offense helped seal the deal for the club. With the victory Tuesday night, the RoughRiders are now 41-54 on the year.
Davis earned his first win in Double-A ball. He struck out nine Hooks batters over a career-high eight innings pitched, walking none. He allowed just one run, a homer from Dexter McCall in the fifth inning. Davis ended his night after throwing 89 pitches, 59 for strikes. His ability to go deep in the game saved the RoughRiders bullpen. Just one reliever was used Tuesday night. Reed Garrett tossed one inning of perfect baseball, striking out one along the way.
Eric Aguilera set things in motion in the fifth inning. He launched a deep three-run home run in the fifth inning. Later in the eighth, he drove in another RBI with a single. Jose Trevino hit a single that scored one in the sixth, and Michael De Leon hit a solo homer in the seventh. Andy Ibanez aided in the offense, finishing his night 2-4, with a double and a run scored.
News and notes from RidersBaseball.com:
- With a career-high eight innings Tuesday, Tyler Davis became the second Riders player this season to last eight frames. The other performance, belonging to Connor Sadzeck, came May 19 against Corpus Christi.
- Eric Aguilera drove in a season-high-tying four runs Tuesday. He also moved into a tie with Luke Tendler for the team lead in homers (10).
- Jose Trevino extended his hitting streak to eight games with an RBI single in the sixth and has plated 20 runs in his past 21 games.
- Michael De Leon homered for the second time this season, blasting his first long ball since April 17 at Tulsa (261 at-bats).
- Tuesday’s victory snapped Frisco’s six-game losing streak.
The RoughRiders continue their series against the Hooks Wednesday night. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM at Whataburger Field in Corpus Christi, Texas. Frisco will start up-and-coming star pitcher Collin Wiles (7-6, 3.98 ERA). The Hooks will send lefty Alex Winkleman (0-5, 4.96 ERA) to the hill.
You can watch the action via MiLB.tv, or listen to the broadcast at RidersBaseball.com.
Follow Blake Cole on Twitter (@blakeacole) for more on the Frisco RoughRiders, and other MiLB Texas League Double-A teams and players.
*Featured image courtesy of the Frisco RoughRiders.