By Shawn Clark
As you’re getting older, your testosterone levels decline thus causing a wide array of effects in your body, including impaired sexual health.
However, men don’t tend to talk about their sexual health and problems with performance. According to experts, most men don’t even seek professional help regarding sexual health.
That’s why supplements formulated to improve your performance, libido, and sex health are widely popular. Nowadays, there are hundreds of male enhancement pills on the market and this wide selection only makes it difficult for you to choose one item.
To help you out, we’re going to discuss what you should look for in these supplements.
The most common male problems: Male enhancement pills are formulated to address various sexual health problems. But, before you get informed about characteristics of these supplements, this section will discuss the most common male problems. They are listed below.
Problems with ejaculation include:
- Premature ejaculation or PE – ejaculation that occurs before or immediately upon penetration. The exact cause of PE is still unknown although experts assume it’s due to performance anxiety during sex as well as stress, temporary depression, low self-esteem, history of sexual repression, unresolved conflict with significant other.
- Delayed or inhibited ejaculation – ejaculation doesn’t happen at all, or it takes a lot of time. It usually occurs as a consequence of chronic health problems, medication adverse effects, surgeries, or alcohol abuse. However, delayed or inhibited ejaculation is also caused by relationship problems, depression, stress, and anxiety.
- Retrograde ejaculation – during orgasm ejaculation is forced back into the bladder rather than through the penis. This ejaculation problem is common in men with diabetic nerve damage. Problems with nerves in your bladder and the bladder neck make the ejaculate flow backward instead of straight through the penis. In men who don’t suffer from diabetic nerve damage, retrograde ejaculation is usually a side effect of medications, surgery of prostate or bladder neck etc.
Erectile dysfunction or ED: Erectile dysfunction is defined as the inability to achieve and retain erection during sexual intercourse. This disorder is quite common and you’re at a higher risk as you’re getting older. In fact, about 5% of 40-year-old men have erectile dysfunction while between 15% and 20% of 65-year-olds experience this problem. Causes of ED are numerous, for example:
- Nerve disorders
- Diseases affecting blood flow e.g. hardening of the arteries
- Suffered injury to the penis
- Relationship problems, stress, performance anxiety
- Chronic illnesses e.g. high blood pressure, diabetes
- Unhealthy lifestyle choices e.g. smoking, overeating, alcohol abuse, sedentary lifestyle
Low libido: Low libido indicates that your interest or desire to have sex is reduced. This condition is usually associated with low levels of testosterone which maintains sex drive, muscle, sperm production, hair, and bone. Low testosterone levels have many effects and they can also affect your body and mood.
Other causes of low libido include depression, relationship difficulties, and anxiety as well as high blood pressure, some medications etc.
Need for male enhancement pills: Male enhancement pills pose as the perfect solution for men who want to improve their sex health and performance in the natural manner. You should consider buying these products if you:
- Lost interest in sex
- Experience erectile problems
- Experience ejaculation problems
- Lost muscles and gained weight, male enhancement pills that improve testosterone levels can help you lose weight and tone muscles.
Do male enhancement pills work? Current data about efficacy of top male enhancement pills is limited. But, that’s about to change as popularity of these supplements inspired many scientists to inspect their effects and investigate benefits. Luckily, what we do know is that male enhancement pills have a great potential and they do work.
For example, study published in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that sexual health supplements proved to be beneficial in men aged 65 and older who participated in the study. The supplements improved sexual function and mood.
There was also a concern that testosterone supplements are linked with increased risk for attack and stroke. However, study published in the journal Plos One is just one proof of growing body of evidence that there is no link between testosterone therapies and supplements with heart attack risk.
In the near future we can expect more studies and proofs about male enhancement pills and their efficacy. Naturally; in order to reap all the benefits that male enhancement pills offer, you have to make sure you get reliable product. There are hundreds of male enhancement pills on the market and they’re not created equally.
Here are some buying tips for you:
- Make sure the manufacturer is reliable
- Check ingredient list
- Look for results of clinical researches that support claims made by the manufacturer
- Look for money back guarantee
- Read customer testimonials as well as reviews on different websites
- Find info about possible side effects or whether the product is associated with any
What should be there in the formula?
Reading the list of ingredients is the most important thing to consider when buying male enhancement pills. Supplements of this type usually contain all natural ingredients such as herbs and spices that are well-known for improving male sexual health.
Below, you can see the list of ingredients you should look for in male enhancement pill formula.
D-aspartic acid: It is an amino acid which boosts testosterone by stimulating the central brain region to release multiple hormones including growth hormone, luteinizing hormone, and follicle stimulating hormone.
Ginseng: Ginseng is one of the most beneficial herbs for male sexual health and its benefits are well document. For example, review of studies on ginseng published in the journal Spermatogenesis found that this herb improves erectile function including rigidity, penetration, and maintenance of erection. The findings also show that ginseng improves sex drive, ejaculation problems, as well as sperm production and quality.
B-complex vitamins: Vitamins from B complex play an important role in the conversion of food into energy. Vitamins B have the ability to increase testosterone levels by improving protein and fat metabolism.
Fenugreek: Fenugreek is a testosterone booster that also improves low libido. A Phytotherapy Research study found that a supplement containing fenugreek helped participants maintain healthy testosterone levels.
Mucuna pruriens: Mucuna pruriens is a great source of L-Dopa. It is the body’s precursor of dopamine, a neurotransmitter responsible for happiness and good mood. Dopamine triggers the increase of testosterone production.
Oyster extract: Oysters are well-known aphrodisiacs and the oyster extracts is considered as highly beneficial for fertility boost due to high levels of zinc.
Zinc: Zinc is considered as one of the best testosterone boosters and its benefits were confirmed in multiple studies. For example, study published in the Nutrition found that zinc plays an important role in modulating testosterone levels in men. It is no wonder that experts recommend higher intake of zinc-rich foods to men with low testosterone levels or men who want to improve their sexual health.
Tribulus terrestris: Tribulus terrestris is yet another powerful natural ingredient that boosts testosterone levels and improves libido for optimal sex performance. The underlying theory behind the efficacy of this ingredient is that it increases levels of luteinizing hormone thus triggering testes to produce testosterone.
Vitamin D and Vitamin K: Vitamin D is more than a sunshine vitamin. It’s good for your bone health, and it turns out it improves testosterone levels as well. Hormone and Metabolic Research published results of the study which proved that Vitamin D supplementation increases testosterone levels. On the other hand, Vitamin K has a significant impact on testosterone secretion.
Selenium: Selenium is known for its testosterone boosting properties particularly when it is coupled with zinc. To get the best out of supplement you buy, make sure it contains both zinc and selenium in its formula.
- Maca root powder – improves sexual desire and overall health
- Caltrops – maintains adequate hormonal levels and strengthens endurance during sexual intercourse
- Avena sativa – boosts libido
- Tongkat ali – supports sexual energy and treats mild sexual problems
- Saw palmetto – regulates hormonal balance, supports prostate health.
Conclusion: As men get older they start experiencing sexual health difficulties and low testosterone levels only add to low libido and impaired sexual performance. Male enhancement pills work to improve testosterone levels, increase sexual desire, and improve overall sexual health in a natural manner.
Throughout this article, you had the opportunity to find out these products really work and what ingredients you should look for when buying them to get the most out of supplements.
Author Bio: Shawn Clark is a Health, Beauty and Fitness Adviser. For the past 5 years, he has provided nutrition counseling, fitness training and health advice all over Phoenix, Arizona. He specializes on beauty, male sexual health, female sexual health, mental health, bone health, weight loss, detox & dietary supplements. Connect with him on Facebook, Twitter , Linkedin and on Google+.