Dating sites may be the best sites to meet adults online, but that doesn’t make them safe or completely free from issues. Fake dating profiles are unfortunately very prevalent, for whatever reason. Fortunately, there are ways to tell if you have found yourself on a fake dating profile.
1. The words make no sense: There’s a difference between being nervous and making mistakes, and sounding like you are completely round the twist. People are allowed to have their own quirks, nobody is arguing against that, but there are limits.
Messages which don’t make sense, and which are hard to follow, or which don’t actually answer your own words, are most likely the result of robots which can’t understand how to do normal human communication. Or sometimes even communication.
2. A lack of photos: If there is only one photo on a profile, you should run away. It means one of two things: one, that the person was too lazy to get more than one photo, or, more likely, that it is a bot that could only find one picture of the same person. These photos are quite often used without permission, and they can be quite damaging to someone’s reputation, so tread carefully.
3. A link to another site: A lot of bots use dating site to try and send links on sites like Instagram these days, in order to bring more views and clicks to people on those sites. This is a bad sign, as it leads people away from sites, and into false pretences. Robots are quite often used to boost views on other sites because that is where people are trying to launch their careers, or because they are trying to get some clicks to a site which they are being paid to advertise. It is very bad form.
4. No profile: A lot of people don’t fill their profiles out, but this seems to be particularly the case for robots, since they can’t do much more than create profiles. An empty profile will not get many messages anyway, but it takes up space, and wastes everybody’s time, including yours if you are genuinely looking for someone to connect with on the site. If you see an empty or mostly empty profile, don’t waste your time or your effort. Just move on to something else.
5. No friends: This is not always true, so you should tread carefully. There is a normal and average number of friends or followers that people have on Facebook, Twitter, or some other social media page. Anything which is outside of that should be treated with caution, because it can indicate a robot is controlling the page.
Of course, this is not always the case, which is why people need to tread carefully, but it is a good rule of thumb, and can keep you from wasting your time on a bot, which may only want your information from you rather than anything else.