Gambling and sports betting have increasingly become popular activities for many people. To further make it easier for bettors, online casinos provide the added benefit of staying at home and placing your bets using an online account. In fact, online bookmakers even allow line of credits for people who cannot initially afford to place bets.
There is a popular saying that “the house always wins”. This means that gambling is not about luck or odds. There is always a process involved which means that casinos and gambling companies always end up with the biggest slice of the pie. Is there really a way to beat the system?
Can you increase your odds with the use of hacks or advanced mathematical skills? The complicated world of gambling can be navigated if you read the right literature. For anyone who is dedicated to learning, here is a list of the best books on sports betting and gambling in general.
Books about strategies and guides on playing
The books that fall under this category are numerous. How can you sift through the options and find valuable diamonds in the rough? Here are some recommendations for the best gambling books:
· Scarne’s New Complete Guide to Gambling by John Scarne. John Scarne’s reputation precedes him as an expert in gambling. He was widely considered as one of the best card manipulators in the world. His expertise in card tricks and card games led him to explore the publication of books. This book is a comprehensive guide on everything that is related to gambling such as official house rules, the odds of a game, and how much percentage goes to the house.
· Beat the Dealer by Edward O. Thorpe. If you want to apply mathematical strategies to win, then this is the book for you. Edward Thorpe is the author of the first book to prove that math can be used to have an edge in blackjack. Card counting has long been a controversial strategy in this game and Edward Thorpe continues to explore the use of Mathematics in this area.
· Gambling 102: The Best Strategies for all Casino Games by M. Shackleford. This book is a product of years of research involving mathematical computations and computer simulations. The aim is to arrive at an accurate explanation that can be used to assess the odds of the game. The book is comprehensive and detailed yet the chapters are straightforward enough to include all the basic strategies each gambling enthusiast should know.
· Ian Andersen’s Burning the Tables in Las Vegas. This book is already considered a classic but remains relevant in many aspects. First, it discusses mastering casino etiquette including a guide on dress codes, how to tip, and other things. Most importantly, this book discusses every aspect and strategy you can apply to the game of blackjack. It also includes information on how to identify bluffing techniques, as well as advice on how to keep your emotions in check while playing.
Biographical books about the most influential people in the world of gambling
This category of best selling gambling books includes stories of the most famous people related to the gambling world. These books are meant to inspire people with the vision, and skills of these individuals.
· Doug Swanson’s Blood Aces. It may seem like a story straight out of Hollywood, but this book is a true to life biography about Benny Binion. He was a mob boss and was credited with the creation of World Series of Poker. The book is an enticing read if you want to get a deeper appreciation of what goes on behind the scenes of the gambling world.
· All Bets Are Off by Arnie Wexler. This book is a first-person take on gambling addiction. Arnie Wexler’s experiences revolve around how he began getting addicted to gambling and how it pushed his life to the edge. The upside to the story is that it doesn’t end there, Arnie Wexler also recounts the story of his recovery and how he was able to get back to a normal way of life. He further inspires readers by allowing them a peek into his current activities as an activist against gambling addiction.
Books on sports betting
Sports betting is another popular aspect of gambling that has taken hold in the itinerary of many people. Here are some interesting reads you can add to your library.
· Fixed-Odds Sports Betting by Joseph Buchdal. This book has a slightly more formal tone than most other books about gambling. Despite this, it’s still a good read if you’re looking for complete yet concise information on sports betting.
· Mathletics by Wayne L. Winston. Like many strategy books on gambling, this also explores the use of Mathematics in gambling. There are explanations related to probabilities as well as statistics which are commonly asked by most people who bet on sports.
· Sharp Sports Betting by Stanford Wong. This book can be considered as a must-have for anyone who wants to take sports betting seriously. This book covers the basics and moves on to the meatier aspects of sports betting processes.
· Lay the Favorite by Beth Raymer. This book is more of a memoir than an actual guide. It contains the first-hand experience of the author as an agent for a bookmaker. If you want a book that explores everything that goes on inside the world of sports betting, this book offers exactly that. It also brings the reader deeper into the darker aspects of sports wagering.
This list is by no means the only list you should consider. There are a number of other best books out there you can look into. It depends on what you’re looking for. Guidebooks are ideal for people who would like to learn the intricacies of gambling. Guidebooks may not be a foolproof way to winning big time, but they can certainly help you understand how gambling works and how to use these tactics to your advantage.