Menopause can be defined as a point of time in a woman’s life when the menstrual cycle permanently stops. It is a common condition, but it can cause a lot of trouble for women. The average age of menopause depends upon the nation, race, and others.
According to the statistics, the average age of menopause in the United States is 51.
There are many symptoms of menopause, and some of them are depression, fatigue, joint pain, vaginal dryness, loss of libido, and more. These signs can even obstruct women to carry out their normal day to day operations. It affects the different area of your life, and it even affects your body and hair.
How does it affect your hair and body? We will discuss it in the next part of the article.
Every woman should know how menopause can affect their body and hair
The impact of menopause on a woman’s body and hair should be known by every woman because it is not possible to escape from menopause. Here are some of the ways how menopause can affect your body and hair.
1. Breast tenderness: The study shows that menopause can cause hormonal imbalance. Due to hormonal imbalance, there is a temporary dominance of progesterone. This can trigger fluid retention, and it ultimately leads to breast tenderness.
2. Weight gain: Many women experience weight gain because of menopause. Your body strives to retain as many fat cells as possible, especially in the abdomen because estrogen is produced by body fat. The drop in testosterone leads to slow metabolic rate, leading to weight gain. The level of cortisol is increased because of the stress that is linked to menopause, and it leads to encouragement of more fat storage in the abdomen.
3. Slow hair growth: The level of estrogen decreases during menopause. Oestrogen affects your sexual arousal, appetite, menstrual cycle, and even hair growth cycle. You will realize that your hair won’t grow as long as it used to grow during menopause. The lower level of estrogen shortens your hair growth cycle, which will not allow your hair to reach the length it used to reach.
4. Hirsutism: Hirsutism can be annoying for women. How would you feel if you have unwanted facial hair? It can ruin your appearance. The major reason behind hirsutism is due to the increment of androgens because of menopause. Androgen is a male hormone, but this hormone is also found in women, and it is increased due to menopause.
5. Skin problems: Many skin problems like dry skin, loss of elasticity, wrinkles, and more. These skin problems can ruin your appearance. All of these problems are likely to occur because of a lack of estrogen, and lack of estrogen is because of menopause. The lack of estrogen can also lead to poor healing of the wounds.
6. Joint and muscle problems: Menopause can trouble women a lot because of joint and muscle problems. The change in muscle tone, joint pain, and stiffness is experienced by some women because of menopause.
The serious problems like rheumatism and arthritis are also seen among the women during the menopause, and they need immediate treatment. The study shows that physical exercises can be extremely beneficial for arthritis patients. So, you should be involved in physical exercises.
7. Thin hair and hair loss: The hair has an important role in making women look beautiful. However, menopause can also lead to thin hair and hair loss, which can stress you out. Menopause increases the level of androgens (male hormones), and it can lead to hair fall and thin hair.
8. Brittle nails: Brittle nails may seem like the result of malnutrition or dehydration. However, brittle nails can also be caused because of menopause, and this is because of hormonal imbalance. You can counter this problem by staying hydrated, eating biotin foods, and more.
9. Body odor: You are likely to experience the signs of menopause like hot flashes and night sweats. Due to excessive sweating, you will have body odor. You can tackle the problem of body odor by putting on clothes made up of breathable fibers, and also by using the right deodorant.
Conclusion: These are some of the ways how menopause can affect your body and hair. All the adverse impacts of menopause can be annoying for women. Most of the adverse impact of menopause is seen mainly because of hormonal imbalance. Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) can be helpful in reducing the symptoms of menopause. You can also try some of the best products to deal with your menopause symptoms, and one of them is Promensil.
However, if you’re having a hard time because of the menopause symptoms, then it is better for you to consult your doctor.