The King of Old Trafford prominently returns to Manchester on June 10 as the ever-nonchalant, uber-arrogant French Film Actor, Philosopher, Painter, Artist, Poet and Manchester United immortal, Eric Cantona, competes in the much-awaited philanthropic UNICEF Soccer Aid 2018 game; Cantona was officially named in Pele’s FIFA 100 Greatest Players of All-Time.
At the forthcoming UNICEF Soccer Aid 2018 charity game, the legendary Cantona will represent the impressive World team, which features Usain Bolt, Gordon Ramsay, Kevin Pietersen, Robert Pirés, Robbie Keane, Yaya Touré and Edwin van der Sar to name just a few.
The charismatic Cantona’s Soccer Aid World team, captained by Usain Bolt, face the bold challenge against an England team comprised of reputable celebrities and legends, which includes: Robbie Williams, Mo Farah, Mark Wright, Olly Murs, David Harewood, as well as Michael Owen, Emile Heskey, David Seaman and Robbie Fowler.
Hollywood actors Will Ferrell, Gerard Butler, Mike Myers, Edward Norton, Woody Harrelson and pop superstar Niall Horan are among the many high-profile celebrities who have all previously taken part in UNICEF’s high-profile Soccer Aid game; UNICEF’s Soccer Aid is a biennal charity fundraising game which has raised over £20 million since its inception in 2006.
UNICEF’s Soccer Aid 2018 much-awaited showdown airs live and exclusive on ITV in the United Kingdom and TV3 in the Republic of Ireland.
FOX Sports 96.9 FM/1340 AM has compiled the Top 10 most iconic Eric Cantona quotes before the self-serving “King Eric” abruptly and confidently struts back into Old Trafford as if he never left, chest puffed out, domineering presence radiating, and trademark collar turned up. Au Revoir!
10. “On derby day in Manchester, the city is cut in two. The blues (Manchester City fans) and the reds (Manchester United fans) invade the street. And if your team wins, the city belongs to you.” – Cantona on the importance of winning the intense derby game contested between Manchester United and Manchester City.
9. “I prefer to play and lose rather than win, because I know in advance I’m going to win.” – The overconfident Marseille-born Manchester United icon on self-belief.
8. “Become a legend? But I am already” – When a journalist asked Cantona if he looks to become a legend.
7. “I am not far from thinking that he (Henri Michel) is a bag of sh*t.” – Cantona’s controversial and candid thoughts on France’s then national team manager, Henri Michel.
6. “You can change your wife, politics, religion. But you cannot change your favorite football team.” – Cantona’s view on loyalty.
5. “I do not play against a particular team. I play against the idea of losing.” – The fiery Frenchman on winning.
4. “I’m so proud the fans still sing my name, but I fear tomorrow they will stop. I fear it because I love it. And everything you love, you fear you will lose”. – Cantona’s admiration for Manchester United fans.
3. “I am not a man…I am Cantona.” – Cantona’s straight-faced, arrogant quote in hit British film “Looking For Eric” when kindly told “Sometimes we forget you’re just a man”.
2. “My best moment? I have a lot of good moments, but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan”.- Eric Cantona on the infamous kung-fu kick incident at Selhurst Park against Crystal Palace.
1. “When the seagulls follow the trawler. It is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea” – Cantona’s abbreviated and legendary press conference poetically and metaphorically discussing the widely controversial Crystal Palace incident.