Who doesn’t love brunch?! Seriously — brunch is great. You get to sleep in and start your day with a huge, scrumptious meal with friends, family and maybe even a little alcohol!! When your day begins at 11am with pancakes, eggs benedict, mimosas, hash browns, frittatas, smoked salmon, fruit and French toast (and, hey, maybe a Bloody Mary, too!), then you know you’re off to a good start. What could be better than that?
But, what to wear?!
Picking out the perfect brunch attire can be tricky, but it doesn’t have to be! There are a couple tried-and-true tricks to know what to wear to brunch. Whether you’re trying to figure out what to wear to Sunday brunch, what to wear to a Summer brunch or what to wear to brunch date, you can be sure you’ll have the perfect brunch outfit in no time! For all the best summer brunch outfits, brunch dresses and brunch attire in general, keep reading!!
What To Wear To Sunday Brunch?
So, your friend invited you to brunch this Sunday and you’re excited to go but you need the perfect outfit. You know she’ll be dressed to the nines and you’re not about to let her see you looking beat.
What’s a girl to do?
Fortunately, summer brunch outfits and Sunday brunch outfits are the absolute best: you can be super caj and not worry about any formal attire rules. The main trick with determining what to wear to brunch is balancing casual and comfy with classy and chic.
Not sure what to wear to Sunday brunch? Follow these simple tips:
- Like your calm and cool attitude, go for a casual outfit.
- Pay attention to surroundings — is the brunch location upscale or super laid back and hipster-y?
- Comfy shoes are an absolute must — they set the stage for your comfy look.
- Accessories, accessories, accessories! Don’t be gaudy, but definitely don’t forget it. You want your accessories to reflect your personality, which is why personalized jewelry is a must.
- Consider your body type and consider the weather — will it be raining? Too hot to function? Be appropriately covered, but be comfortable!!
- Don’t be afraid to break the rules: roll up your sleeves, leave your button-up unbuttoned (with a tank top on underneath!) or wear bold colors and bright lipstick.
- Avoid globbing on the makeup. No need to get all glammed up —you’re going for a weekend brunch, not the Vegas strip. Keep your sexuality pared-down and somewhat modest. Dress the way you would if you were about to see your mother, boss or step-parents — classy, chic and put-together.
Brunch Attire Rules
Still not sure what to wear to brunch? Stuck on a few summer brunch outfits and can’t make up your mind? Fortunately there are a few tried-and-true rules for brunch attire to help you nail down that perfect brunch outfit.
FABRICS — go for wrinkle-free!
- Wool — only in the winter!
- Cashmere — best in winter.
- Knitwear — knitwear is your best friend. Why’s that? Because it’s casual, stretchy, easy to wear and (of course) wrinkle-free!
- Spandex — depending on the clothing item, spandex makes a great wrinkle-free material for you to relax in style at your summer, Sunday brunch. Just don’t go wearing Spanx and you should be fine.
- Cotton — great for any season! You can always count on cotton to keep you comfortable and caj.
- Lyocell — lyocell is soft, drapes nicely, is machine-washable and (most importantly) is wrinkle-free! It is a semi-synthetic form of rayon, and is commonly referred to by its brand name, Tencel.
- Denim — a denim jacket makes a great top layer for a slightly chilly brunch morning. Denim boyfriend jeans are another great denim option for the casual summer brunch.
- Polyester — a strong and flexible material, polyester is best worn to keep the body warmer in colder environments and if you’re anticipating stains! Is the brunch restaurant unnecessarily cold? Will the alcohol be free-flowing? Opt for polyester! You’ll be glad you did.
- Nylon — nylon is strong and lightweight and the perfect material for your summer brunch high knee socks.
PRINTS & COLORS — experiment, but keep it caj.
- Bold pops of color
- Plaid or checkered
- Animal print (leopard, cheetah, snakeskin or cow print)
- Striped (vertical or horizontal)
- Geometric designs
- Delicate floral designs
- Go for a super chic, but relaxed look.
- Dress the season — lightweight fabrics and flowy, breezy styles in summer and cozy cotton, cashmere, wool or knitwear in winter.
- For a relaxed aesthetic, pair casual boyfriend jeans with a T-shirt, loose-fitting button-up or pullover sweater, Keds sneakers and stylish accessories, like personalized jewelry, pearl earrings and a wide-brim sun hat.
- For a formal Sunday brunch aesthetic, go for an unstructured suit in pale tones paired with thick, open-toed heels or kitten heels.
- Be creative with your brunch outfits! Mix and match patterns with pops of colours, trendy designs with playful accessories and classic looks.
Casual Brunch Attire Examples
Need some casual brunch attire examples? Not sure how to structure your summer brunch outfits? Still a little stuck on what to wear to brunch?
Don’t worry — we’ve got you covered.
Check out these casual brunch attire examples and summer brunch outfits!
- Dresses — this is your #1 go-to brunch attire (see below!)
- Blouses, oversized button-ups & casual Oxford shirts — for more formal brunch outfits and locations, wear these!
- T-shirts — for more casual summer brunch outfits, go for a polo shirt or a white v-neck
- Jeans, well-fitted! — as long as they’re fitted right, jeans are always a great option for the casual summer brunch. Opt for jeans in slim, ripped, cropped, classic fit or boyfriend style.
- Pants — for a little classier brunch look, wear joggers, chinos, trainers or wide-legged pants.
- Shorts — for a casual summer brunch look, go for denim cut-offs, classy silk shorts, high-waisted linen shorts or chino shorts.
- Skirts — depending on the venue, a skirt and blouse might be just the thing to wear! Think fitted, flare, pleated, midi or maxi skirts.
- Sweaters & sweatshirts — long-sleeved, knitted, hoodies, basic colors and bold patterns.
- Jackets & coats — might not be necessary just depending on the season and weather. However, a lightweight denim jacket or kimono might make for a great top layer.
- Overalls — overalls are coming back in style, no doubt about it, but keep it cute. As long as you don’t look like you belong in middle school or on a farm, go wild with your overall obsession.
- Accessories — scarves, hats, sunglasses, bucket bags & personalized jewelry are a must to complete your summer brunch outfits and aesthetic.
One of the best options for summer brunch outfits are brunch dresses. However, how do you know which style of dress to wear?! There’s a few factors to consider when deciding on your brunch dresses: the formality of the brunch venue, what your friends are wearing, what the weather’s like and (most importantly) what you have available to wear! Check out these simple tips for when best to wear each style of brunch dress.
- Princess v-neck — this neckline cuts low down the chest and creates a super flattering silhouette.
- Casual a-line — for the narrow-framed, this classic style of dress is an easy choice for what to wear to brunch.
- Off-the-shoulder — want to show off some skin while remaining classy and chic? Go for an off-the-shoulder dress!
- Sundress — for the summer brunch, a sundress is a must.
- Midi dress — a midi dress is perfect for casual and formal brunches. If you’re not sure what the venue is like, go for a midi!
- Shift dress — if you’re going out for a hefty brunch, there is no need for a formal waistline. Go for a shift dress and let your tummy relax a little.
- Maxi dress — maxi dresses are pretty much the ultimate brunch dress. When in doubt, go maxi.
- Wrap & faux-wrap — wrap dresses form a v-neckline and a silhouette that is always flattering and never not in style.
- Fit and flare — with a fitted bodice and a full skirt, you’ll look better than your whole crew!
- Shirt dress — the shirt dress is definitely in style right now and makes for a super cute brunch outfit. Pair it with a wide-brimmed sun hat and oversized sunglasses — your outfit is complete!
- Sweater dress — sweater dresses are best for a winter brunch, but, depending on your location, could work for a chilly summer brunch, too.
If you’re not sure what to wear to brunch or, specifically, what accessories to pair with your summer brunch outfits, think personalized jewelry! Personalized jewelry is a big hit right now — it’s all the rage to wear jewelry that has a deep meaning attached to it. A great example of personalized jewelry is fingerprint jewelry from Sincerely Silver. With fingerprint jewelry, you can get the fingerprints of your loved one engraved on a necklace made of sterling silver, gold or rose gold. The wonderful thing about fingerprint jewelry is that the engraved fingerprint acts as a symbol of your love, bond and connection to the person whose fingerprint it is.
So, why does fingerprint jewelry make for a good brunch accessory?
Brunch accessories should be personal, but also classic. They should stand out because they represent your unique sense of personality. No matter what, if you’re struggling to determine what to wear to casual Sunday brunch or what to wear at brunch, the important thing to keep in mind is that your summer brunch outfits should reflect your personality, and your accessories are a great way to show-off your unique persona in a classy way.
Last but not least: what shoes to wear to brunch?!
Your brunch outfits can almost be entirely determined by your shoes. This is because comfort is key when it comes to brunch outfits, and summer brunch outfit, specifically. You might even want to pick out your comfy shoes first and then build the rest of your brunch attire around your shoe choice. Need some help deciding on comfy shoes for your summer brunch outfits?
Here are some examples of comfy shoes to pair with your summer brunch outfits:
- Vans, Converse or Superstars
- Flats — think leopard-print, pointy-toe or ballerina lace-ups
- Booties — ankle, knee length and open-toed booties are best for what to wear to brunch!
- Derbies and Oxfords
- Moccasins and Loafers
- Plain white sneakers, like Keds, ASOS or Adidas
- High heels — but only if they’re comfy! Go for wedges or a thick heel
And there you have it!
Absolutely everything you need to know about what to wear to brunch! Whether you need to know what to wear to Sunday brunch, what to wear to a Summer brunch or what to wear to brunch date, you’ll be ready to brunch next time someone asks you!
This post was written by Kara Roberts, blogger and content writer for Sincerely Silver. We specialize in creating custom made jewelry in sterling silver, gold and rose gold and have been featured in a number of publications, including Glamour. For gift ideas and personalized jewelry creations, check out our blog!