Esophagus is a long tube that connects throat to the stomach. Acid reflux is a condition of heart burn sensation or severe burning pain around lower chest because of the stomach acid moving up into the esophagus. This pain gets worse when a person bends or lies down.
If the acid reflux is severe, the condition is called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
It is characterized by many other complaints like nausea, sour taste of the mouth, sore throat, dry cough, and chest pain. If acid reflux is not treated properly, it may lead to serious complications; one of which may be esophageal cancer.
The exact cause of this problem is unknown, but many factors are supposed to give rise to this problem. Major factors are smoking, obesity, pregnancy, use of rich fatty foods, some esophageal or stomach disorders, and some specific medication side effects.
For the medical treatment, there are a lot of antacids that can relieve the symptoms and pain, but medication is not the permanent beneficial solution. People usually prefer to apply home remedies for treatment of acidity.
1. Apple cider vinegar is considered to be one of the best home remedy for acid reflux because it helps improve digestion by balancing the stomach acid production. People who are constant victims of acidity must take 1-2 tsp apple cider vinegar mixed in a cup of warm water and drink it 20-30 minutes before meal. Try this remedy regularly for a few months.
2. Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) has long been known as a natural antacid because it gives quick relief from heart burn or acidity. A very simple recipe is to mix 1-1.5 teaspoon baking soda in a cup of water and drink quickly. This recipe is not recommended for the patients of hypertension because it contains sodium. Apart from that, it is a quick relief instant remedy so it should not be used regularly for so long.
3. Aloe vera juice also gives a soothing effect to the stomach acidity because it naturally possesses anti-inflammatory properties, but this is also not recommended for prolonged use as it may cause laxative effects. As an instantly available remedy, drink 1/4th cup of aloe vera juice 20 minutes before mealtime.
4. Numerous studies have shown that chewing a sugar-free chewing gum for 30 minutes after meals can also suppress acid reflux. Chewing a gum speeds up saliva production which cleans up the stomach lining and gut from extra acid. Any sugar-free or cinnamon gum can be used for this purpose but never use mint gum because mint works in favor of acid reflux.
5. Liquorice root has a soothing effect on acidity problem because it protects gut lining by decreasing any kind of gastric inflammations. Take one and a half teaspoon liquorice root powder and boil it in a cup of water. Strain the liquid and drink almost 15-20 minutes before meal. Use this remedy twice or thrice a day for 1 week and see the results.
6. Yellow mustard is also used to neutralize stomach acid in order to relieve acid reflux. You just have to swallow 1 teaspoon plain yellow mustard, but if you dislike the taste, you may drink some water with it.
7. Fennel is popular in relieving digestive problems because of its anti-inflammatory properties especially in case of stomachache and indigestion. Simplest remedy is to chew a teaspoonful of fennel seeds after every meal. Another recipe is to boil 1 teaspoon fennel in 1cup of water, strain it after 10 minutes, and drink twice or thrice a day. Use this remedy for a few days for better results.
8. Slippery elm soothes stomach by covering the gut lining with a slippery coating. Mix 2 tablespoon slippery elm powder in 2 cups of hot water. Let it steep in the water for 5 minutes and then use it thrice a day until you find improvements in your condition.
9. Marshmallow is high in mucilage, and thus it protects stomach and esophageal lining from releasing excess acids. Put 2 tablespoon dried marshmallow root in 4 cups of water and let it steep overnight. Strain it in the morning and drink the water twice or thrice a day until you see clear improvements in your condition.
10. Cumin is supposed to improve digestion and decrease digestive problems like gas trouble and GERD. You must add it to your daily meals during cooking or you may use it in water. Boil 1 teaspoon cumin seeds in a cup of water and strain it after 5 minutes. Use this drink in the morning and after every meal for a few days till you see digestion improvements.
11. Some fruits can also help in digestive issues. Pineapple contains an enzyme bromelain that helps control acid levels in the stomach. Use of at least 4 ounces of pineapple juice after meals can relieve the symptoms of acidity.
12. Eating a banana or a few slices of red apple reduces acid production in just a few minutes. Similarly a cup of grapes can also work the same way.
13. Raw vegetables or vegetable juices are natural antacids. Put a few cloves of garlic in apple cider vinegar and take a sip every time you feel burning sensation in your stomach. It is a natural antibiotic.
14. Include ginger in your meals during cooking or eat raw or take it in the form of ginger tea. There is a special recipe for acidity relieve drink. Mix 1 teaspoon ginger and lemon juice with 1 tablespoon honey in 8 ounces of warm water and use this drink whenever you feel acidity. You can also take ginger candy.
Check howtocure.com for more natural cures and home remedies.
There are a lot of other small tips and tricks that can also help in digestive problems such as
- Chewing basil leaves
- Drink cinnamon and cardamom tea
- Put 2 drops peppermint oil in 8 ounces of cold water and drink
- Take a peppermint candy
- Use turmeric in cooking
- Use buttermilk made of fermented milk
- Include soy products in your daily diet
- Use papaya juice
- Include yogurt in daily diet
- Lose excess weight
- Don’t take heavy meals before bedtime
- Avoid acid triggers like smoking, alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, chocolate, citrus fruits, rich spicy or fried foods
- Elevate the head of bed to almost 6 inches
- Sleep on your left side
Author’s Bio: Emily is a freelance content writer and a blogger who is specialized in home remedies, natural cure and power yoga. She is a nature enthusiast who contributed her piece of work for many websites like howtocure.com. In her free time you can find her in adventurous trips and hanging out with family and friends.