Today, all e-commerce businesses are faced with a plethora of options to host their website, app or email server. Choosing a hosting provider is a decision that should be taken after a lot of research and consideration.
No matter how well designed and professional your website, a mediocre hosting provider will always leave a bad taste in the mouth. Even though it is possible to switch hosts later in the business, it can cause inconveniences like downtime etc. This is why it is best to get it right the first time.
Whether you’ve just started a business or are running a well-established e-commerce website, data security should be of the utmost importance.
Security should be your number one priority when looking for a web hosting provider. Remember, not all web hosts offer top notch security. You have to do your research and analyze how your chosen hosting provider will affect your site’s data security, traffic, engagement levels and profitability.
Fortunately, a lot of secure web hosting options are available in the market. They offer additional data security features and this is what makes them more reliable compared to their counterparts.
The choice is yours. By opting for a secure web hosting provider, you will be a step ahead of hackers.
In this article, we will discuss why it’s important to have a secure web hosting provider and how can it impact your website’s performance.
Benefits of secure web hosting: If you are thinking of choosing a web hosting service based on its price, let us warn you. The main reason why some hosting prices are so low, is because they offer zero security.
Most low-cost web hosting providers use outdated servers and have irregular maintenance. These security loopholes are easily spotted by hackers.
Opt for a secure web hosting service. Think about all the money that went into building your website. You don’t want it to go down the drain just because you decided to skimp on a web hosting service.
A secure hosting package will ensure that your system remains virus free. Hence increasing the overall performance of your website.
Some of the main benefits you’ll get to enjoy after choosing a secure host include;
- You will be able to provide your visitors with a secure environment. Your website’s credibility will allow them to put their trust in you. This will lead to new revenue opportunities for your business.
- You don’t have to sweat about losing all your important website data. A secure web host will ensure that all your data is safe from security threats and malware.
- A secure web host will increase your sales numbers. Once customers are satisfied with your website’s security performance, they are more likely to return and buy from you again.
Key components of a secure web host
Here’s what you should look for in an ideal hosting provider;
1. SSL Certificates: Secure Sockets Layer or SSL certificates ensure that there is a safe exchange of information between all servers. This is achieved by encrypting information as data travels between your website and the visitors’ browsers.
Moreover, having an SSL makes it safe and hassle-free to accept online payments from your customers. This is why an SSL certificate is crucial to improve trust levels between you and your customers. It can also lead to a big boost in sales.
2. Firewall Protection: Firewall protection is a way to monitor web traffic and instantly block threats. It is a basic security measure and any quality web hosting provider should include it in its package. Having a firewall can save your website against unknown security risks and suspicious activities.
Before deciding on a hosting provider, make sure that your web host offers a firewall protection. It never hurts to double check. Just click on the tab that lists the featured offerings of the web host, and you’ll get to know whether your website will be in safe hands or not.
3. A secure datacenter: When you choose a company to host your website, all your website’s data will be kept in their datacenter. A good web host should also offer the services of a secure datacenter.
You don’t want your web host’s datacenter to be caught in natural disasters, power shortages and other emergencies.
By choosing a web hosting provider that has a safe datacenter, you can ensure that your website is safe from all harm round the clock.
Remember, a quality datacenter will have 24/7 monitoring which ensures that your website runs smoothly all the time. Plus, they will have backups for all systems – even backups for their backups!
If your web host has all these features, then you’ll know that you they will take your website – and its security – seriously.
4. Excellent customer support: Imagine if something did happen to your website. What’s the first thing you’ll do? You’ll have to get in touch with their customer support team immediately so that they can guide you through the restoration processes.
This is why it’s essential that your web hosting provider’s customer service is top-notch. They should have a panel of knowledgeable technicians who can guide you whenever you have a query.
Make sure that your web host offers a round the clock customer support network. You should be able to talk to their customer reps via live chat, phone, fax, email and any other contact medium. The more options they offer, the better.
5. Back-up: A quality web host regularly backup your data in case of an emergency. The most common options are daily, weekly and monthly backups. Always opt for daily backups, because this way you can restore the current version of your website if your server goes down for any reason.
Some web hosts also offer a manual backup option. It is an even better option, because you can update it every time you make changes on the website.
However, there are certain backup limits (e.g. max 10Gb) which a web host provides. So, always make sure you have your own backup source too and read the conditions thoroughly before purchasing a hosting plan.
Conclusion: Never underestimate the importance of a secure web host. By choosing a safe option from the beginning you can avoid many potential threats, such as hacks and data breaches.
A smooth-running website that offers great user experience should always be your first priority. Have you had a bad experience with your hosting provider? We’d like to hear your story!
Author’s Bio: Saffie Khan has graduated in marketing and now working as freelance writer. She develops her habit to write on business, travel and health as well. You can find her at @meetsaffie.