Concrete is a structural composite material that consists of beautiful, hard and rough aggregate binding together with a cement paste (cement fluid). A substantial amount of water is required to make the cement paste which can be easily poured and formed into any shape. There is a mixture of concrete, gravel rock sand and cement that can be taken as high-quality formation of concrete.
Components That Are Integral to The Making of Concrete:
The major constituents of concrete are water, Portland cement and aggregate (rock, sand or gravel). Water is mainly needed for hydration of cement. The concrete can be made stronger by maintaining a lower water-cement ratio. The paste that is made of cement and water forms a coat to the mixture of sand and aggregate. The production of concrete is sensitive to time as special attention is required once all the ingredients are mixed.
Usefulness of Concrete in Building Construction:
Concrete is one of the most used human-made products in today’s world. Here are a few benefits of using it.
- It is popular due to its strengthening power which is required for any significant construction. So, concrete is preferred to any other construction material.
- Unlike any other material such as wood, concrete is durable as well as affordable. It is of great use for underground construction.
- The strength of concrete constructed structures increases with time.
- Concrete has the power to resist weather conditions, and it has a low maintenance cost.
Concrete Lasts Long and It Is Useful in Making Major Highways:
- It is such a material which does burn or gets rotten.
- The walls and floors which are made of concrete help in creating a perfect home for relaxation.
- It is useful in making highways which require efficient material for its sustenance
- Various designs can be made in concrete made structures.
- Houses built from concrete are safe from insects, pests and small animals as they can’t make burrows.
- Concrete made structures such as dams are dominant for controlling flood
Environmental and Social Impacts
- The Concrete is eco-friendly in its raw state as it a natural component. But it ceases to be so when it is the extraction of industrial material. Industrial waste forms when the materials come out of the mixer and are laid down. You can choose colored or white concrete and add plaster to it to get the desired building variety that you want.
- This can pollute water bodies and in turn, depletes the groundwater as well. Since cement is one of the main components of concrete, it has its impact on the environment. One of the primary producers of carbon dioxide is the cement industry which is also responsible for greenhouse gas.
- The Massive amount of concrete dust released during demolitions of buildings can be a significant source of air pollution. That is the reason why there are specific guidelines given by building authorities regarding the usage of concrete and its varieties.
- The most fertile soil layer is also damaged due to the extensive use of concrete. Health issues can also arise due to additive and unnecessary use of some substances in the making of concrete. So, using cement in such a wide range affects not only the environment but also the health of living beings.
As usage of concrete is highly prevalent, protection should be taken when it remains wet. Direct contact should be avoided as it can burn the skin due to its corrosive nature. Since the demand for concrete is rising globally, we need to introduce techniques that would help in reducing the environmental impact of it. Now you get green and environment-friendly concrete for all high-quality construction and building works.