A block board is made from a solid block of woods obtained from trees like mango, pine, or cedar. Block boards are used as softwood. As hardwood is denser than softwood, they also tend to be a lot heavier than softwood. So, in the case of transportation, you will be able to carry the softwood easily than hardwood. This is why softwood like block boards is more prevalent in building furniture. The most common usage of block boards is in the making of doors.
In case you want to buy block boards for your house, you can do so by looking up about any Block Board Manufacturer In India and let the service take care of the installation of your furniture and doors.
Advantages of Block Boards
Block boards are large wooden slabs, usually sandwiched between two veneers of hardwood and glued together under extreme amounts of heat and pressure. Block boards are prevalent among carpenters, designers, and manufacturers. This is because there are certain advantages to using block boards in your house. Some of them are listed below:
- They are economical: Block boards offer huge saves in terms of the financial aspects. They cost much less than timbre. Therefore, they are the first choice for many manufacturers opting for cost-effective yet quality-efficient projects.
- They are durable underwater: Block boards are durable and last longer, even under the water. They are easy to work with and paint. They are also durable when in contact with saline water. It has a unique structure, and so it does not become pulpy or saggy when in contact with water. Therefore, they are preferred more, especially when building furniture in bathrooms and kitchens.
- They are strong and stable: The block boards are placed side by side, thus, uniformly distributing the strength and stability across different planks of wood. The hardwood veneers are then pasted across the wood with tremendous pressure and heat. This, in turn, reinforces the strength of the block boards.
- They are easy to handle: Block boards are easy to carry due to their lightweight. They also hold the screws and nails well and are easy to work with. They do not sag or bend, and while drilling, they do not make a mess of loose grains.
- They are lightweight: As block boards are not really dense compared to hardwood, they are more lightweight. Due to its less weight, they are also long-lasting. For instance, when block boards are used for doors, they do not put unwanted pressure on the hinges, making it last longer. They are also easier to carry long distances and thus, consume fewer transportation costs.
- They do not sag or warp: Block boards do not sag or bend. They have a stiff constitution as compared to solid timbre. This is why they are ideal for making bookshelves, tables, benches, and wall cabinets.
- They are available in many shapes and sizes: Block boards are quite versatile when it comes to applications. They are available in a number of sizes. Block boards are usually used for making long furniture like conference tables and wall panels. They also come in many shapes. Due to their lightweight factor, they do not pose any threat during transportation.
- They are sustainable: Black boards are environmentally sustainable. Due to their versatility, they can be used many times. They can be reclaimed and reused in a number of products, thus, lessening the wastage value.
- They are poor conductors of heat and electricity: Block boards are poor conductors of heat and electricity. This property alone can make them great practical choices for many engineering purposes. They are suitable for shelves, wall panels, partition boards, switchboards, manufacturing doors, and tables.
- They are resistant against termites and borers: In order to use the block boards, they are treated with special adhesives under extreme heat and pressure. This increases their durability and strength, making them foolproof to termites and borers.
Disadvantages of Block Boards
Despite the advantages listed above, they are not all good. Sure, block boards are an excellent choice to make. Yet, it is essential to have some knowledge about the cons of the element as well. Here are some things you need to consider while opting for block boards:
- During the production process, there is a massive application of urethane glue. Therefore, the emission of formaldehyde is a bit higher than usual. It is not environmentally sustainable, and the boards also emit a pungent odour due to this.
- Block boards should not be used in kitchen furniture directly in a humid environment.
Applications of block boards
- Wall panels
- Railway carriages
Block boards are a great way to save some costs for good quality furniture. If you are planning to get some work done, feel free to opt for it.