The Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, took a loss to the Springfield Cardinals Tuesday night, 11-4. Scott Heineman homered in the series finale, extending his on-base streak to 20 games. The RoughRiders fall to 38-44 on the year.
In the bottom of the sixth inning, Heineman (recent Texas League Player of the Week) hit a massive two-run shot against Cardinals starter Austin Gomber. Luis Marte homered earlier in the same inning, getting the Frisco RoughRiders on the board for the first time. Jose Trevino accounted for Frisco’s final run, with a single that scored a run in the eighth inning.
Pedro Payano started on the hill for the RoughRiders, leaving after just four innings of work. He allowed eight hits and eight runs (all earned) while striking out seven and walking one. Taking the loss, Payano fell to 1-2 for the year. Gomber tossed seven innings for the St. Louis Cardinals affiliate, giving up six hits and three runs (all earned). He struck out five and walked one.
News and notes from RidersBaseball.com:
- The Riders won four of the six games of the homestand, taking two out of three from both Tulsa and Springfield.
- Scott Heineman’s 20-game on-base streak is his second streak of at least 20 games this year. The Riders outfielder reached safely in 25 consecutive games to begin the season.
- With two more hits Tuesday, Luis Marte is 7-15 in his past four games.
- Jose Trevino plated eight runs in the three-game series, driving in five Sunday, two Monday, and one Tuesday.
- With a scoreless ninth inning, Riders reliever Nick Gardewine extended his scoreless streak to 8 1/3 innings.
The Frisco RoughRiders are heading on a road trip. The will play the Tulsa Drillers in a three-game set and then head to Springfield to face the Cardinals for another three-game series. Game one against the Drillers takes place Wednesday night.
The RoughRiders will start Yohander Mendez (5-5, 3.58 ERA) against Tulsa’s Walker Buehler (2-2, 2.85 ERA).
You can watch the game at MiLB.tv, or listen to the broadcast at RidersBaseball.com.
Follow Blake Cole on Twitter (@blakeacole) for more on the Scott Heineman, the Frisco RoughRiders, and other MiLB Texas League teams and players.
*Featured image courtesy of the Frisco RoughRiders.