The human body is made up several blood vessels that serve multiple functions in our body. These blood vessels are present throughout our digestive tract, including the fag end of it that is the rectum and the anus. There are times when these blood vessels around the rectum and anus get inflamed due to various factors leading to what is known as hemorrhoids. Most of us usually ignore the symptoms of hemorrhoids until they start to bother us. However, hemorrhoids is a very common condition that affects most people at least once in their lifetime. Hence, it is important to remain aware about it and get treated at the earliest. Here are few facts about hemorrhoids that everyone should know.
- Hemorrhoids is a condition when the blood vessels or veins around your rectum and anus become swollen and are similar to varicose veins. Also known as piles, hemorrhoids can happen due to excessive pressure in the veins in your anus and rectum. When hemorrhoids develop inside the rectum, they are referred to as internal hemorrhoids and when they occur around the anus they are called as external hemorrhoids.
- There are several reasons why hemorrhoids can occur but very often the cause is unknown. Frequently, the pressure inside the veins causes hemorrhoids and this pressure can be due to increased weight, pregnancy and lifting of heavy objects. Sitting on the toilet seats for too long and pushing hard to pass stool can be a reason for the development of hemorrhoids. Long term constipation and diarrhoea have also been related to the development of hemorrhoids.
- There are several symptoms that can help you identify the hemorrhoids. Some of these are itching around the anal region, pain and discomfort while passing stools, swelling in the anal region along with bleeding. Sometimes it can be painless and you’ll notice small amounts of blood in your stool.
- One of the most important facts about hemorrhoids is that it is a condition that can be treated successfully by various means. However, one should always visit a doctor and get a proper diagnosis made before you start treatment. Many a times, blood in the stools can be due to some other reason apart from hemorrhoids. So make sure to get a proper diagnosis before you get treatment.
- In most cases, the symptoms of hemorrhoids can be treating using simple measures after which they tend to heal by themselves. However, certain cases may require medication and surgery. One of the most effective ways of treating hemorrhoids is by the use of naturopathy available at N A Hemorrhoids Medications for treating hemorrhoids include laxatives, analgesics and stool softeners.
- There are several ways by which we can prevent the occurrence or reoccurrence of hemorrhoids. Drinking plenty of fluids and eating fiber rich food along with regular exercise will not just keep you fit, but also ensure that your bowel movements are smooth. Remember to go to the toilet when you need to and don’t wait for a later time. Do not sit on the toilet for too long and don’t strain to pass stool. Always keep your anal region clean to prevent infections. These simple measures can go a long way in keeping hemorrhoids at bay.