- Under the state veterinary practice act, the veterinary dentistry, surgery and oral medication are practiced as a part of veterinary medical treatment. Veterinary dentistry is the treatment which includes entire dental care for animals. Dental cleaning, filling, repair of animal teeth, adjustment, extraction, oral care therapy, etc are a part of this treatment procedure. A veterinary dentist has to be a specialized one as it is a function of veterinary practice and requires proper diagnosis, needs extensive knowledge about dental pharmacology, pathology, anesthesiology, radiology, physiology, neurology, surgery and medication. All of the above-mentioned treatment procedures are a part of the training through which every veterinary dentist goes. This training procedure helps a dentist to understand and practice veterinary dentistry. To become a licensed veterinarian, one must complete the entire training procedure required to become a veterinarian. Any vet health care worker can perform some of the treatments under the direct supervision of a licensed veterinarian.
How can Veterinarian Dentistry be helpful for animals?
Here is a list of points which supports the statement that Veterinarian Dentistry is helpful for animals:
- Veterinarian Dentistry is considered as an invasive treatment which has a huge impact on animal health.
- Veterinarians after graduating, receive dentistry training which is an important part of the college curriculum and is mandatory in every veterinary medical college.
- During the training period, veterinarians are trained to diagnose, run physical tests and examine, use diagnostics to detect and address unexpected oral health conditions. They are also trained to prescribe necessary medications and provide procedures to treat such complications.
- The guidelines for veterinary dental care which are AAHA-AVMA Feline Preventive Healthcare Guidelines and AAHA-AVMA Canine Preventive Healthcare Guidelines are an integral part of this procedure. Atlanta Vet follows these guidelines.
- Some procedures such as intraoral radiography, dental extraction, periodontal probing and dental scaling requires to be performed under the use of anesthesia.
- A licensed veterinarian has the ability and freedom to perform invasive procedures of tissues to cavity, treatment of malocclusions of premolars, incisors, molars, removal of sharp enamel points, extraction of damaged teeth, reshaping of teeth, restoration and endodontic treatment, dental radiography, orthodontic and periodontal treatments.
- Veterinarian medication includes dental and oral health care of all species of animals.
- With the help of proper or correct diagnosis of dental ailments, detection of serious and chronic diseases such as rabies and vesicular stomatitis, veterinarians can cure these conditions.
- During veterinarian dental treatments, tranquilizers, sedatives and anesthetics are used to reduce the pain which the animals have to suffer.
- During dental treatment using ultrasonic dental scaling, an endotracheal tube is placed to generate the water droplets and protect the lungs.
- Sedatives and Anesthesia is also used for procedures like radiographic or visual recognition of dental pathology and assessment of periodontal health.
- The conduct of experimental and clinical oral as well as dental researches have advanced the veterinary dentistry field and placed it as a great professional career. All the studies in this field allow the usage of evidence based approach towards veterinary dental, oral and clinical decision makings.
- The veterinarians are accountable to the veterinary state board and the veterinary practice acts. There are some set of rules which help the veterinarians work under a disciplined and proper manner. The clients also enjoy benefits from it such as acceptable care standards.
Veterinary dentistry, oral healthcare, surgery and medication are something which requires specialized care and handling. Thus all the activities performed by a licensed veterinarian must be as per the rules and regulations of state veterinary practice. The veterinary workers are supervised by the licensed veterinarians and are only allowed to perform certain activities which require direct veterinarian supervision. These healthcare workers can perform some non-surgical, non-invasive dental as well as oral procedures under the direct supervision of a licensed veterinarian who has complete knowledge about these procedures. The state board and veterinarian practice rules and regulations controls the limits of veterinarian workers as well as gives the licensed veterinarian, the access to perform certain surgeries and procedures. The use of sedatives is also an important factor in veterinary dentistry which is allowed in only some cases such as surgeries. The client patient relationship is also an eminent factor in this field of veterinary dentistry. Veterinary dentistry constitutes of the health of your animal, their dental care and oral care, their safety, etc.